Complex Business Litigation
Our attorneys have represented companies of all sizes and individuals in complex disputes in a variety of industries, including finance, insurance, transportation, and entertainment. We have litigated cases in federal and state courts around the country, representing plaintiffs and defendants alike. Our experience includes, among other things, a wide range of contract disputes; cases involving alleged fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference, and other business torts; and claims arising under consumer protection and false advertising statutes, as well as civil claims arising under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act. Examples of matters that the firm’s attorneys have handled include:
- Represented a leading financial institution in a civil dispute arising from its planned operation of an Alternative Trading System (ATS) that culminated, after appeal, in dismissal of all claims in excess of a contractual limitation of liability provision.
- Represented and advised life insurance companies in a series of actions filed in courts around the country challenging increases to the cost of insurance charges associated with universal life insurance products.
- Represented national performing rights organization in music license rate-setting proceedings in Southern District of New York, including in an action against Pandora Media, Inc. that ended in a win after a five-week trial.
- Represented a film producer in a dispute with a major entertainment company over rights to the proceeds from a successful motion picture.
- Represented junior bondholders in Southern District of New York bankruptcy court from discovery through trial ending in a post-trial settlement.
- Represented administrative agent for bondholders seeking to protect their collateral from a judgment creditor in the federal district court in the Southern District of New York.
- Represented and advised an Ad Hoc Committee of noteholders in connection with the restructuring of a distressed private issuer.
- Represent a distressed-debt investor in a dispute with a Latin American telecommunications company arising from attempts to restructure the company’s debt.
- Represent real estate investor in dispute with business partner.
- Represented the “no” voters in the second-ever External Review litigation convened under the auspices of the ISDA Credit Derivatives Determination Committee.
- Represent a trader of industrial metal in dispute with warehousing company.
- Represented internet retailer in dispute with freight forwarding company.
- Represented a major financial institution in a contract and fraud dispute against another financial institution arising from a failed “CDO-squared” transaction.
- Represented a hedge fund company in a contract, fraud, and RICO dispute arising from investments in a portfolio of life settlements.